The third edition of NABA Design Award, born from an idea of Claudio Larcher, NABA Design Area Leader, the award ceremony aiming to celebrate and decorate the best design projects, selected by a jury composed of professionals and journalists from the world of design took place on June 22nd at ARIANTEO Chiostro dell’Incoronata.
The Best Project of the year and the winner of the prize for BA Interior Thesis project is “Community renovation in Shikumen” by Yunyun Liu and Yuzhe Zhang: a work revolving around the urban redevelopment of buildings in Shikumen (Shanghai), lead by the need to preserve their original historical identity and at the same time adapting them to the contemporary context and to the problem of high population density of the city. The project was awarded Chair_One, the best-seller designed by Konstantin Grcic for Magis.
The Jury Prize, a novelty of this edition, was instead awarded to two projects ex aequo. "S-Light" by Andrea Bonzio and Cecilia Raimondi is a sterilization system that uses UV-C technology and which arises from the need not to compromise the properties of water with bacteria residuals in empty bottles. "SLS 50'" by Sofia Biondi, Silvia La Monica and Lucrezia Venturelli is a set of kitchen items that show dents that evoke a second-hand vibe, just like the copper pots typical of grandmothers.
Both of the winners of the Jury Prize were awarded Ettore, the doorstop by Magis that supported NABA Design Award also awarding with Puppy, the iconic piece by Eero Aarnio, the winners of the other 10 categories:
- BA Interior project “Belvedere errante” di Alice Rimoldi and Alice Roma;
- BA Product project “MOVEA - frammenti di luce” by Marzia Tacchino, Sofia Biondi, and Erika Frusca;
- BA Product Thesis “Sfregio” by Martino Bizzanelli;
- Photo “Flashback videocamera” by Cagla Enginer;;
- Drawing and Sketch “sk8 whs” by Maria Francesca Sammito;
- Materials and innovation “questononèunfingertrap” by Elisa Frau and Teresa Penna;
- MA Interior project “Corno d’angelo” by Wang Junyl and Jiayi Zhu;
- MA Product project “PURE COLLECTION” by Asude Nur Sancaktutan;
- MA Interior Thesis “Hosa Arambha” by Kshitija Mruthyunjaya.
Guido Tattoni, NABA Dean, Italo Rota, NABA Scientific Advisor, Claudio Larcher, NABA Design Area Leader, and Luca Poncellini, NABA Design and Applied Arts Department Head took part in the event.
This third edition of the NABA Design Award is the tangible and concrete demonstration of the ability of design to react to contemporary issues, the fil rouge connecting every project proposed by students.