The following procedures apply to Non-EU students residing abroad and requiring a visa to enter Italy for long-term stays.

Non-EU students belonging to the following categories are included in this group:

  • Non-EU citizens who do not reside in Italy;
  • Non-EU citizens who, despite having studied in Italy upon obtaining a proper study permit, have lost their student status or have withdrawn from their studies: candidates in this situation need to apply for a new visa from the appropriate Italian Representative in their country of origin;
  • Non-EU citizens with a study visa valid only to attend an Italian language course: candidates in this situation need to apply for a new visa from the appropriate Italian Representative in their country of origin in order to enrol on a course.

Reserved quotas of places available for Non-EU nationals

The number of places available to Non-European citizens residing abroad is established annually by the Italian Institutions of Artistic, Music and Dance Higher Education (AFAM) and University Institutions and published on the website of the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR). 

Pre-registration applications

To enrol in a Bachelor of Arts Degree Program (Diploma Accademico di 1° Livello) or a Master of Arts Degree Program (Diploma Accademico di 2° Livello), Non-EU citizens residing abroad must submit an official pre-registration application (Modello A-bis / A-bis Form , the original form plus a duplicate copy) to the relevant Italian Diplomatic Representative (Embassy, Consulate, Italian Institute of Culture) in their country of origin, in accordance with the procedures set out in the relevant ministerial provisions.
Pre-registration applications are to be submitted prior to enrolment and can be submitted for one University/AFAM Institution only and for one single course of study only.

The calendar indicating the deadlines for submitting applications is published on the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR) website every year, generally around February-March.


With respect to the 2019/20 academic year, the pre-registration sessions have been set as follows:

- for BA Degree and MA Degree (Diploma Accademico di 1° e 2° Livello) courses starting in the 1st  semester (September/October): between 7 March and 24 July 2019. 

- for MA Degree (Diploma Accademico di 2° Livello) courses starting in the 2nd semester (February): from 15 October;

The deadlines set locally by the specific Consulates and Embassies may vary in accordance with the availability of local consular offices.

For this reason, we strongly recommend that all interested students immediately contact their relevant Italian Diplomatic Representative to verify the procedures and deadlines to submit the appropriate documentation and to book an appointment to submit their pre-registration application.
Pre-registration procedures need to be completed in order to obtain study visas for university enrolment.



ATTENTION: Pre-registration is NOT required for one-year 1st Level Master Programs. Upon receiving confirmation of acceptance from the Academy, candidates should submit their qualifications to the appropriate Italian Diplomatic Representative to obtain the necessary consular documents. In accordance with the start of their course, students should request the relevant Italian Diplomatic Representative to issue a STUDY visa whose validity is consistent with the length of the program.

  • Original upper secondary school diploma or replacement certificate valid for all legal purposes, legalised by the competent authority for the territory, accompanied by an official translation into Italian;
  • Academic suitability certificate / National university exam results, if required in the country of origin (e.g. Gaokao and Yikao in China, YKS in Turkey, Vestibular in Brazil...).
  • If the local system includes less than 12 years of schooling: university enrolment certificate with full list of 1st-year exams (or 1st and 2nd years for systems with 10 years of schooling) or post-secondary education certificate attained at a non-university higher education institution or completion certificates of preparatory courses (foundation courses), which offset the missing school years;
  • 2 photographs;
  • Where applicable, the enrolment eligibility letter provided by NABA during the pre-enrolment confirmation phase.

Applications will be accepted provisionally by Diplomatic/Consular Representatives if students are still attending the last year of upper secondary school and are about to take their final exams or are due to take special academic suitability tests/national university entrance exam if required by the local education systems.

•    Qualification attained at a foreign University, legalised by the competent authority for the territory, accompanied by an official translation into Italian;
•    Certificate issued by the foreign university certifying all the exams passed. Alternatively, completed post-secondary studies (exams and credits) can be attested by the Diploma Supplement, where adopted;
•    2 photographs;
•    Where applicable, the enrolment eligibility letter provided by NABA during the pre-enrolment confirmation phase.

Applications will be accepted provisionally by the Diplomatic/Consular Representatives if students, even after having completed the relevant study courses, are not yet physically in possession of the relevant university qualification certificate.  

In order to be submitted to Diplomatic/Consular Representatives, qualification certificates drawn up in a foreign language must be translated officially into Italian and legalised by the competent authorities of the relevant country (except in the case of exemptions under international agreements and conventions).  


N.B.: All the above-mentioned instructions regarding pre-registration procedures are to be considered as general guidelines. Any decision about said procedures and the subsequent issuance of study visas for university enrolment is the exclusive responsibility of Italian Diplomatic Authorities. You are therefore advised to check the specific procedures for submitting pre-registration and visa applications with the relevant Italian Diplomatic Representatives in your country of origin.

By the deadline established by the Ministry, the Italian Diplomatic Authorities return to students their academic qualifications furnished with the relative consular documentation. Student will be requested to submit the overall documentation to NABA for enrolment.

After the pre-registration phase, the relevant Embassy or Consulate will check that all the requirements for issuing a study VISA for university enrolment have been met.


In order to enrol in NABA’s Bachelor of Arts Degrees Programs (Diploma Accademico di 1° Livello) and Master of Arts Degrees Programs (Diploma Accademico di 2° Livello), students must have a STUDY-UNIVERSITY ENROLMENT VISA, type D “national” (STUDIO – IMMATRICOLAZIONE UNIVERSITA’).

For one-year 1st Level Master Programs, students must have a STUDY-POSTGRADUATE VISA, type D “national” (STUDIO – POST-LAUREAM).

Students should apply for their visas from Italian Diplomatic and Consular Representatives in their own countries of residence. To obtain a visa, students will be required to fill out a specific form and attach:

- Valid travel document;

- Passport-size photo;

- Documentation justifying the travel: pre-registration application (i.e. A-Bis form for courses where it is required) and/or enrolment certificate and documentation related to the academic/school qualifications;

- Medical health insurance valid for Italy;

- Proof of suitable financial coverage for living in Italy. Financial coverage is quantified at € 453.00 per month for the entire academic year, equivalent to € 5,889.00 per year;

- Proof of financial coverage for repatriation;

- Proof of the existence of suitable accommodation in Italy.

For precise and detailed information on the documentation required for visas, please refer directly to local Diplomatic and Consular representatives or visit the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

ATTENTION: Students already enrolled at an Italian University, who have withdrawn from their studies and wish subsequently to enrol in a course at NABA, CANNOT use the specific residence permit issued for the previous enrolment, but must apply for a new study visa for university enrolment. 

The residence permit previously obtained will no longer be valid further to withdrawing from studies.


Within eight working days of the arrival in Italy with a type D “national” STUDY visa students must apply for a residence permit for STUDY from the central police station (Questura) in the city in which they reside. Applications need to be submitted to the Post Office using the special kits available at the “Sportello Amico” counters.

The Student Life Office on the NABA campus provides help to international students with residence permit application procedures.

N.B.: for the purposes of obtaining a residence permit, students need to take with them the original copy of their A-Bis form (for courses where it is applicable) and their NABA enrolment certificate, duly stamped by the Italian Diplomatic Representative when issuing the relevant student’s visa.

Upon submitting an application, the relevant Post Office will issue a receipt attesting the lawful presence of the student in Italy until his/her residence permit is issued.  Students will also be provided with an appointment date on which they need to go to the relevant central police station (Questura) office. Students can check the status of their residence permit application on the website of the Polizia di Stato or on the immigration portal.

Please refer to section 7: Upon arriving in Italy for more details on residence permit application procedures.

If the issuance of a student’s residence permit is delayed, he or she will be conditionally enrolled at NABA until a copy of the relevant residence permit is submitted.

Residence permits for BA Programs, MA Programs and 1st Level Master Programs are valid for one year. Students must then renew their residence permits annually, applying for an extension at least 60 days before the document expires.

When applying to renew their residence permits, students must be able to demonstrate that they have the same financial coverage required to enter Italy, have an enrolment certificate issued by NABA and that they meet all of the initial requirements for the residence permit issuance.

STUDY residence permits in Italy may only be renewed to students who have passed at least one exam during their first year of study and at least two exams during the following years.



International students who have taken the admission test for nationally planned courses or for courses at other universities, but – despite resulting eligible - are not classified in a beneficial position in the ranking list with respect to the places reserved, may submit just one reassignment application to NABA for the same or for another course.

To this end, students should apply for the AUTHORISATION (NULLA OSTA) from the University where they first took the admission test and submit their application to NABA.

Those candidates who do not pass the test at the university chosen during the pre-registration phase or who do not gain either admission to another course or reassignment to another institution, must leave Italy within and no later than the expiry date of their study visa or residence permit.