Eligibility Requirements: School and University Qualifications
BACHELOR OF ARTS PROGRAMS (DIPLOMA ACCADEMICO DI 1° LIVELLO)
Students holding qualifications which meet all of the following requirements can access Bachelor of Arts Degree Programs (Diploma Accademico di 1° livello):
(i) the title is an official upper secondary school leaving qualification of the foreign education system of reference;
(ii) the qualification allows entry to first-cycle academic courses in the foreign education system of reference;
(iii) the qualification has been conferred after an overall path of at least 12 years of schooling;
(iv) where foreseen in the country of origin, students are also requested to pass an academic suitability test /national university entrance exam (e.g. Gaokao and Yikao in China, YKS in Turkey, Vestibular in Brazil, Selectividad in Spain...).
In the calculation of the twelve years, where applicable, a pre-school year may be considered, as long as attendance is compulsory and an integral part of the curriculum, and the program includes the teaching of reading and writing of the language of the Country and the first elements of arithmetic.
For certain educational qualifications and systems, specific requirements or conditions are identified by the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (Ministero dell'Istruzione dell'Università e della Ricerca - MIUR). The main instances are listed below. In any event, all students holding foreign qualifications are advised to check ministerial provisions and in particular Annex 1 and Annex 2 published annually by the Ministry for specific indications or requirements relating to their qualifications.
A. QUALIFICATIONS OBTAINED AT THE END OF A PERIOD OF LESS THAN 12 YEARS
Students with qualifications obtained at the end of a school educational path of less than 12 years need to submit at least one of the following documents:
- academic certificates attesting the passing of all exams foreseen by the first year of university studies (for 11-year school systems), or for the first two academic years (for 10-year school systems);
- official Italian or foreign post-secondary education qualifications obtained at a non-university higher education institution in subjects similar to the course chosen;
- certificates issued by other Italian or foreign universities for the successful completion of preparatory courses (foundation courses) offsetting the missing years of schooling (the decision regarding the suitability of these courses is at the discretion of NABA).
B. AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL QUALIFICATIONS
Students holding an American High School Diploma (HSD) can enrol in the first academic year if they have passed at least three “Advanced Placements” (APs) with a score between 3 and 5, in three different subjects. An AP in Italian language will be compulsorily required only to students with foreign citizenship who apply to a program held in Italian language. The AP in Italian cannot be counted among the 3 APs in case of students with Italian citizenship or in case of enrolment in courses delivered entirely in English. Please notice that APs are only courses accredited by the College Board.
In the absence of the required APs, students holding a US High School Diploma can still be eligible to enrol in the 1st year if they have supplemented their qualification with either:
- further two full years of “College” and the eligibility to enter the 3rd year;
- a further full year of “College” and 4 different “Advanced Placements” (APs) in subjects relevant to the chosen university course of interest.
C. BRITISH QUALIFICATIONS
In order to be eligible to enter BA Degree Programs, students holding British upper secondary school leaving qualifications must have passed at least three advanced level subjects (A levels). The A level in Italian language will be requested only to foreign students. On the contrary, it will not be considered among the 3 necessary A Levels in case of students with Italian citizenship or in case of enrolment in courses delivered entirely in English.
Students holding Scottish upper secondary school qualifications must have passed at least three Advanced Highers or, alternatively, 2 Advanced Highers and at least 4 Highers.
D. INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE
The International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB Diploma) is an appropriate qualification for admission to Bachelor Degree (Diploma Accademico di 1° livello) courses. NABA will accept IB Diplomas for enrolment without requiring students to submit a Declaration of Value, provided that the diploma submitted during the enrolment phase is legalised.
The IB Career Related Program (IBCP) is considered eligible for admissions to Bachelor Degree (Diploma Accademico di 1° livello) programs as long as it includes subjects related to the program of interest, namely Arts & Design subjects.
The IBCP leads to a high school qualification of a professional nature.
The IBCP curriculum consists of three different elements:
- at least two courses from the IB’s Diploma Programme (DP)
- the CP core
- the career-related studies (i.e. the Btec diploma in Art & Design)
The IB certificate is not sufficient for admission to Bachelor Degree (Diploma Accademico di 1° livello) programs.
For details relating to the legalisation of IB Diplomas, please refer to the relevant page on the website of the Italian Consulate in Geneva
E. STUDENTS WHO ATTENDED MORE THAN ONE UPPER SECONDARY EDUCATION INSTITUTION
Diplomas obtained by students who, during their secondary education, moved from an institution within one education system to another within another education system (for example, from an Italian upper secondary school to an American high school), will only be considered valid if:
- the qualification was attained at the end of a total school education period of at least 12 years;
- the qualification was attained after at least 2 years of attendance of the same education system.
F. STUDENTS WITH A PREVIOUS ACADEMIC CAREER AT A DIFFERENT UNIVERSITY REQUESTING
FOR THE RECOGNITION OF PREVIOUS CREDITS AND EXAMS (TRANSFER STUDENTS)
BA program applicants who have already attended university without completing a degree, can ask for the evaluation of their previous academic career and possible recognition of exams (TRANSFER STUDENTS).
With regards to the eligibility of their upper secondary school credentials, the same requirements listed for 1st year applicants also apply to transfer students. In addition, to request the evaluation of the previous academic career in order to get the transfer of recognisable exams and credits earned at a foreign university, students should be in possession of:
- Academic transcripts of the first-cycle program which should be equivalent in terms of level to the course that the student wishes to attend. The certificate should be issued by an official institution of the foreign education system and list all exams taken, grades received and credits assigned;
- detailed study programs: description of the content covered by each course attended during the academic career, and the number of hours for each course/training activity in the academic curriculum, issued by an official institution of the foreign education system;