Entry Requirements

As a private university, NABA is regulated by the Higher Education in Art and Music (AFAM) system, a section of the Italian university system governed by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR). Under this accreditation, NABA upholds rigorous admissions standards, and our degree programs have a restricted number of available places.

For both European and non-European students, admission depends on fulfilling minimum educational and language requirements, and passing an admissions test.

    In order to enroll in a Bachelor of Arts program, you must either have an Italian secondary school diploma (maturità) or an equivalent secondary/high school diploma that is legalized by the Italian embassy located in the country whose educational system the title belongs to. This diploma must be translated and notarized  by the Italian embassy or consulate in the country where the diploma was issued, regardless of the school’s actual location. For example, if you studied on the French campus of a German school and received a diploma issued by the German Ministry of Education, that diploma must be validated by the Italian consulate in Germany. The embassy or consulate will provide a “Declaration of Value” (Dichiarazione di valore in loco) for the diploma.

    You must have attended school for at least 12 years before earning your secondary school diploma. For more information, see the FAQ section below.

    International students must have reached or surpassed the B1 (intermediate) level of Italian language knowledge, as established by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL). In order to prove the required Italian language knowledge level, you must submit the Italian language certificate, issued by an authorized institution, as defined in the MIUR’s regulations, within the month before the program starts.

    Below are the English language certificates that NABA accepts. You must submit the language certificate within the month before the program starts; the certificate and should not be older than two years.
IELTS5.0 Academic
Cambridge English: FIRST (FCE)C or 154
Cambridge English: Preliminary (PET)Distinction or 160
Cambridge English: Business Vantage / BEC VC or 154
Cambridge English: Business Preliminary / BEC PDistinction or 160
TOEFL Paper494 - 510
TOEFL Computer173 - 180
TOEFL Internet59 - 64
PTE Academic36 – 42
BEC 1Preliminary
BULATS40 - 59 (all 4 skills should be passed: listening, reading, speaking, writing)
TOEIC (provided that student passes all parts)Listening and reading: score 600
Speaking: score 140
Writing: score 140
European BaccalaureateL1 grade 6, L2 grade 7
German AbiturGrade 11
Iceland StudentsprofGrade 6
Norwegian VitnemalGrade 4
Swedish SlutbetygG or C
Danish StudentereksamenLevel A grade 7, Level B grade 10


Students exempted from this requirement are:

  • Mother tongue students
  • English Speaking Countries (prior check with the admission office)
  • English Speaking Degrees (prior check with the admission office)
  • English Speaking Degrees in non-mother tongue countries (prior check with the admission office)

For Non-European Students Only: Application for a Student Visa to Italy

Once you have completed NABA’s pre-enrollment procedure, you will receive an official acceptance letter, including information about the status of your admission and possible arrival date in Italy.

Before applying for a student visa, you must first obtain your pre-enrollment form (modello “A bis”) from your Italian embassy or consulate, fill it out, and submit it to the embassy/consulate. It is thus essential to complete your pre-enrollment form according to the deadlines established by the embassy/consulate. The deadline to submit the “A bis” pre-enrollment form varies each year according to the Italian Ministry of Education (MIUR) guidelines, so be sure to confirm the date with your local Italian embassy or consulate. The pre-enrollment session window is usually scheduled between May and June of each year.


Yes, you can still apply for a NABA BA program, but you must first study for one year at a college or university . You must pass all your university exams and be granted admission to the second year of your university.

Yes, but you must supplement your diploma by taking three advanced placement tests that relate to your chosen NABA program. If you are applying to a BA program taught in Italian, you must instead take two advanced placement tests related to your chosen program plus one advanced placement test in Italian language and culture. For further information, contact your local Italian embassy or consulate.

GCE diplomas are valid only if you have passed six different subjects, and if three of them are A levels and relate to your chosen NABA program.