The following procedures apply to students not requiring a visa: Italians with foreign qualifications, European Union students and foreign students residing in Italy (referred to Article 39, paragraph 5, of Italian Legislative Decree no. 286 of 25.07.98, as amended by Article 26 of Italian Law no. 189 of 30 July 2002 “Amendment to legislation on immigration and asylum”).

This group includes students of Italian and other European Union nationalities, who have obtained qualifications abroad and non-EU students belonging to the following categories:

  • Citizens of one of the following countries: Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Switzerland and the Republic of San Marino;
  • Non-EU citizens living in Italy with a residence permit for one of the following reasons: subordinate employment or self-employment, family reasons, political asylum/humanitarian reasons, religion, long/unlimited period;
  • Non-EU citizens with an Italian Maturità who have been living in Italy for at least one year;
  • Non-EU citizens with a student residence permit to study in Italy, enrolled in a degree course at another Italian university, wishing to transfer universities;
  • Personnel of diplomatic offices and international organisations based in Italy (recognised by the Italian State or by the Holy See) and their family members (limited to spouses and minor children).

Said candidates may attend university courses in Italy without quota restrictions and may therefore apply directly to NABA without having to contact Italian Diplomatic Representatives beforehand.

In order to complete their enrolment, students with qualifications issued by foreign authorities should provide the documentation indicated by NABA in the relevant enrolment forms (in this regard, please refer to section 6: “Enrolment”).

Upon arriving in Italy, citizens of European Union and EFTA countries (Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, and Switzerland) do not need a residence permit, but, pursuant to the terms, conditions and procedures set out in Italian Legislative Decree no. 30 of 06 February 2007, need to register with the Municipality in which they intend to live.